* All photos on Blog are taken by Pat Burdette and protected by copyright.

Monday, February 27, 2012

A Tree Grows Near Topton



     This is a tree that I pass every day on my way to work.  It's a nasty trick I have, I'm always snapping pictures while I'm driving.  Sometimes I'm alarming other drivers by half hanging out my window, like I was the evening I took this one.  Other times I barely slow down and have a camera balanced on my steering wheel and am snapping along.  I don't drive fast, and the roads I drive on are not very well traveled.  But the sights are so beautiful, I can't resist.  Later I have to crop out the hood of the car, the antenna, the Marvin the Martian I have hanging from my rear view mirror, or even, sometimes, my thumb.  I lose, sometimes, the most stunning photos, or what I FEEL are stunning, because my side mirror or the window or something, is in the way.  If I would just slow down, or, heaven forbid, pull over, I'm sure I'd get some wonderful shots.  Those times when I've actually done that, I've gotten some really nice ones.  Or if I left for work 30 min earlier, I'd have time to pull over and get that shot I missed the other morning of the 3 deer feeding on the top of a hill, silhouetted on the horizon.  But, no, per usual, I was running late and could only gasp and appreciate for the brief seconds they were in view.

     I think so much of my life is like that.  So many missed moments of beauty and missed opportunities because I've managed my time poorly, have been goofing around on the computer, watched an extra 20 min of television, caught that extra 30 of shut eye, or HAD closed eyes to the things around me.  Now I try to remember those deer on the horizon and file them away in my memory, but like the hundreds of other pretty pictures and missed moments, after awhile I don't know if they're real or manufactured, and before long, I won't remember them at all.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment